Saturday, September 10, 2011

GLUE AND EPOXY 101 - BEST GLUE FOR ARTS AND CRAFTS

I  should be an expert by now on all types of glue, but as is my nature-I do not remember alot of the ones that I did not like.  Why wouldn't I like a glue?  Alot of times it was nothing more than the fact of once I went back to use it a second time, it was hardened up at the top near the tube opening so much that no matter what I did I couldn't get it to squeeze out.  Oh then what happens is my favorite part: I spring a leak somewhere down in the body of the tube. Well for a white glue that does more than an Elmers would, I really like Eco Glue.  For a silicone glue I do like GOOP.  But lastly, and most importantly, let me refer to my friend:  EPOXY.  no. 1 winner for use in art:  Devcon 5 minute expoxy.


   These shots of my meditation boxes do not do the glitter and/or the epoxy justice at all.  We all remember the Envirotech from the 60s and 70s....well that was epoxy.  To use an epoxy is just like all the artists who are doing work with resin now, but the combination of expoxy and glitter to me are nothing short of a miracle.  What shine! What a finish!
For a glue to use outdoors, when I glue items on bowling balls for lawn balls, I use nothing but GE Silicone II for windows and doors.  Not only does it hold, it won't let the items SLIDE down the ball.  So this glue is great for anything else outside too, but it is the kind you have to hook up to the metal tube.  I liked the GE so much, I started buying their household glue and it is absolutely wonderful BUT it wants to do that hardening thing towards the top of the tube. 

No comments:

Post a Comment